Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A lot to think about.

I've spent so much time recently tracking down business licenses and health codes, analyzing market trends and writing ingredient lists that I have almost forgotten the *fun* part of launching a new business.

Yesterday I stopped into d'PrintShop in Mesa to price business cards, box labels and carbonless order pads. Suddenly it occurred to me, Whatever logo I design, what colours I choose, these are with my business forever. It will, in part, dictate the website design. The decor of my eventual shop. The style of marketing campaigns. It goes a lot farther than: "here's a name and a URL, buy my chocolate". And that prospect is a bit thrilling.

It also occurs to me that I need to work on my own image, as well. I don't think it is too much to model my personal look after that of my business. I mean, mine is the human face behind this company and we live in a society where first impressions are everything. Does an overly pudgy, matronly lady look like Earthly Delights? Not exactly.

But, back to the business proper. I have a few ideas for logo design. I just don't have an artist. Most of my ideas are stylized, vines and branches growing from truffles type of thing. Though I have always enjoyed the iconography of WWII America. Pin-up girls and rosy cheeked children and Victory gardens. Is that imagery a little overdone, though?